Thursday, October 13, 2005

Call me stumped

Yes, just call me stumped. Pass the Clueless Parent Award this way, please.

For the life of me I cannot figure out what is going on with my daughter. I thought we nipped the transitions issues, and now she is right back to her 2 year-old status, this time for teasing her best friend at preschool. My daughter is just plum MEAN right now. And she is hyper-sensitive about EVERYTHING.

I think I have read through at least a half-dozen parenting books, and I tell you, I think there is a book out there that gives the proverbial "there there" pat on the shoulder to every form of parent. But there are no SOLUTIONS.

The director from preschool offered to meet to talk some more. I told her I didn't know what to talk about because it is so darn frustrating. I don't know what to do at this point. I am seriously considering holding her back from Kindergarten next year, because this sort of stuff is NOT acceptable. (I sound like that Super Nanny lady!)

And on the toddler front, my son is still hitting children. At least he stopped biting, but now he is hitting. And getting him down to go to sleep takes HOURS. DH has been in with him for over 90 minutes now just to get him to go to sleep in his toddler bed.

Madness, I say -- absolute madness.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

What we would try, and it eventually worked is first sitting next to our child in bed until he feel asleep, after that we would sit in the room with the child, but you dont talk to them, and if they get out of bed you put them back in until they stop gettin gout. Then it just naturally weened down to going to sleep by himself ( and by naturally I mean many nights of kicking, screaming and biting).

Also, our son had a bitting/hitting/kicking problem in preschool as well. We have found that breaking it down in to good and bad choices has worked well. Bad choices mean that they chose to have the 'threatened' item taken away, so then you do if they make the bad choice, and lots of rewards for the good choices like walking away. Our son is 4 though , so he may be older than yours.

This seemed to work for us, so maybe you can adapt some of the tehory to fit your family.

~Shannon

Karen said...

Thanks for the advice and words of encouragement!

I think I might have to take over getting my son down to sleep. (He's 22 months old, by the way.) DH is just about at the end of his proverbial rope, and he has been handling this up to now because my son is still nursing. If I try to put my son to bed, a little 22 month old voice just keeps asking to nurse.

When I weaned my daughter (MUCH earlier -- she was 15 months when we weaned), DH had responsibility of getting her a cup of warm milk before she went to bed, and that seemed to help the weaning process and getting her to sleep. My son has absolutely mo interest and weanig and, frankly, if I tried to start now, he would be very upset -- as in a screaming banshee -- right at the time that we need him to be quiet and relaxed to go to sleep.

I am going to try the rewards system for my daughter at preschool. She's 4, and she is still having transition issues at preschool. She ALMOST bit someone on their finger yesterday because they were taking something away from her. It took close to three hours to find out specifics from her to boot.