Tuesday, September 27, 2005

More on the Yale women

Over at Slate, Jack Shafer compares the New York Times "Yale women" story to a 1980 story on the "career vs. motherhood" issue. The most intriguing part was his anecdotal follow-up to one of the women mentioned in the 1980 article:

One criticism of Story's article is that college students are poor predictors of what sorts of adults become. To test this idea I conducted some purely anecdotal research of my own: I Googled the lead character of the 1980 New York Times story, Mary Anne Citrino. Within minutes, I reached her at her New York City office at the Blackstone Group, an investment and advisory group, where she is a senior managing director.

Citrino laughed at this week's Times story when she read it, recalling her role in the similarly squishy Times story from a generation ago. She says the Times reporter misrepresented what she said, attributing to her sentiments that were "the exact opposite of what I meant."

"I never wanted to be a full-time mother," says Citrino. She says she was considered the most gung-ho career woman among her classmates, never stopped working after finishing school, has three children, and put in 20 years at Morgan Stanley before joining Blackstone a year ago.

"I never even considered giving up my career," Citrino says.

But that's just one anecdote, mind you.


Also...as shown over at Mediabistro, evidently at least one of the students interviewed in the article has a problem about how she was quoted/characterized. There are even more details over at Alas.

No comments: